Singing Live: The Performing Skills Guidebook for Contemporary Singers
Learn how to move on stage, how to audition, how to talk to an audience, how to conquer stage fright, how to work a mic, and much more.
"I've always been a big fan of Susan Anders' books, but this time she tops herself. Clear, helpful and inspiring. This is a must for my clients who want to sing for Disney."
Chambers Stevens, Actor, Acting Coach & Author, Hollywood, CA
"This is an excellent companion to the aspiring and professional performer alike. The information and suggestions Anders shares in this book are truly remarkable. She leads you from evaluating your initial mental attitude towards your craft, your audience and your performance goals, right through to preparing and fine-tuning your repertoire." Albert Williams, Diablotin Music, UK
Do you want to be an A+ showstopping performer, not just a good singer?
Are you sometimes crippled by stage fright?
Are you a gifted singer who isn't effectively using your body to get their songs across to an audience?
Do you have some performance experience, but have never learned how to use a microphone, or what to say before a song?
Singing Live includes a step-by-step process that you can use to make your performances as powerful as possible. Whether you're singing at open-mic nights or karaoke bars, playing large gigs, preparing for national singing auditions, just starting a band, or have never performed at all—everything you need to know is covered in this book. It's available as an e-book or paperback.
Singing Live will show you how to:
• Develop expressive, natural gestures and stage moves that are right for your musical style.
• Do well at singing auditions.
• Overcome stage fright and own the stage.
• Have great mic technique.
• Prepare for a performance vocally, physically & mentally.
• Build a repertoire & pace a set.
• Get what you want at a sound check.
• Develop great stage patter.
• Deliver your songs with authenticity.
...and much more.
Singing Live is filled with information, singing tips and exercises to help you discover your individual performing style and polish your performing skills. If you're a beginning performer, this book will show you how to build your performance abilities and confidence before you face a real audience. If you are a more experienced performer, you'll find out how to make your performances not just good, but truly great.
Singing Live also covers everything you need to know about giving a great performance besides simply rehearsing your song. This includes how build a powerful repertoire, how to conquer stage fright, what to wear, pacing a set, sound-check and mic technique know-how, developing great stage patter, and more.
The Singing Live method will work for you whether you sing pop, R&B, country, folk, rock, jazz or any other contemporary style.
Singing Live is effective for:
• Singers who are searching for their own performing style.
• Singers who need to develop their stagecraft.
• Singers preparing for auditions, whether local or for national contests like American Idol.
• Singers who find the idea of performing to be just plain terrifying.
• Experienced performers who know that they can do a lot better.
Click here for answers to FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions).
Tools You'll Need for Singing Live
• A camcorder, DVD camera, smart phone, or other way to film yourself. Though not absolutely essential, this is an invaluable tool.
• Backing tracks, if you don't play an instrument. These can be karaoke tracks (iTunes has loads of them) or piano/guitar tracks.
• Some way to record yourself and your backing tracks as you prepare your song for the performance exercises. This doesn't have to be high-quality or expensive—a cheap cassette recorder or recording app will do.
• [Optional] A notebook or device for note-taking.
Want a kindle version? You can find one here.